For some time, I have casually noticed that Gnome’s Evolution was not spell-checking my email messages. Most other email clients, text editors, and even modern web-browsers, at least check your spelling as you type, underlining misspelled words with red wavy lines. Evolution has this capability, but it was not enabled on my system. Here is how I enabled spell-check on my Gentoo system for Evolution.
Gnome’s Evolution is dependent upon external spell checkers to perform this function. Popular open-source checkers include ispell, aspell, and hunspell. Aspell is newer than ispell, and was designed to replace it, at least according to aspell’s web-site. Hunspell is an up and coming spell-checker, based on MySpell and backwards compatible with its dictionaries. Apparently, Hunspell is used in many popular projects, such as: OpenOffice, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Opera, and Google Chrome.
All of these above spell-checkers are developed to be language independent; therefore, you also must also install a language specific “library” or “dictionary” to complete the installation.
Evolution appears to use aspell. However, I installed all 3 spell-checkers and English dictionaries for each checker, plus a few other utilities, like so:
# emerge -pvt app-text/aspell app-text/gnome-spell app-text/ispell \ app-text/spellutils app-vim/vim-spell-en dev-perl/Text-Aspell dev-perl/gtk2-spell \ dev-python/gtkspell-python app-dicts/aspell-en app-dicts/myspell-en
Check to make sure you satisfied with the proposed installations, and then commit:
# emerge app-text/aspell app-text/gnome-spell app-text/ispell \ app-text/spellutils app-vim/vim-spell-en dev-perl/Text-Aspell dev-perl/gtk2-spell \ dev-python/gtkspell-python app-dicts/aspell-en app-dicts/myspell-en
After emerging the above packages and restarting Evolution, I was able to select dictionaries and enable the “Check as you type” feature by navigating here:
Evolution -> Edit -> Preferences -> Composer Preferences -> Spell Checking
Now I had nice red wavy lines everywhere! 🙂
BTW, I did encounter a problem where some of my dictionaries or checkers became corrupted, so I had to re-install (re-emerge) all of the above packages to fix the problem, even though I had previously installed these packages.